Bring your scout troop to Cochran Mill Nature Center for a fun-filled day! Choose from extensive programming options listed below. Didn't find what you're looking for? Simply let us know what you're working toward and we can design a program to fit your needs!
Boy Scout Programs
- Let’s Go Outdoors– Scouts will engage in activities to learn about the weather, take a hike to granite outcroppings, and learn about tree identification by making leaf rubbings.
- Amazing Animals!– This program satisfies both the “Learn about Animals” and “Feed the Birds” electives. Scouts will visit and learn about our non-releasable birds of prey, reptiles, amphibians, and make birdfeeders to take home!
- Your Living World– Discover how YOU can make a big impact on the environment everyday!
- Birds– Scouts will learn to identify local species of birds, many species of birds that live in your own backyard! Then construct a birdhouse to take home using reusable household materials!
- Fishing– Come enjoy our pond! This program will equip scouts with everything they need to know about fishing including fish identification, safety procedures, and proper equipment use. Scouts will then catch fish in our pond using the catch-and-release method.
- Sharing Your World with Wildlife – With appreciation comes respect. Learn what it means to respect animals, how you can protect them, and how to keep wildlife wild.
- Water and Soil Conservation – Think the stuff we walk on and plant flowers in is just simply dirt? Think again! Discover the many layers of soil and the important roles of water with ‘down and dirty’ experiments!
- Family Outdoor Adventure – Plan your outdoor family day at CMNC. Picnic at the pond-side pavilion and enjoy a hike through the forest to explore granite outcroppings and a waterfall (Regular admission fees apply).
- Forester* - Scouts learn about forests and discover how intricate these ecosystems are.
- Naturalist* - Discover the complexities of the natural world through observation skills, discussions of bird migration, and poisonous plant/venomous animal identification.
- Geologist – Rock and roll! Participate in an onsite miniature excavation and visit the granite outcroppings while we talk about the importance of rocks and minerals.
- * Part of the World Conservation Award
Girl Scout Programs
Brownie try-its: Eco-Explorer, Watching Wildlife, Outdoor Adventurer
Junior Badges: Earth Connection, Wildlife, Your Outdoor Surroundings
We can also include programs on any of the topics below.
- Birds of Prey Study
- Environmental Science
- Soil and Water Conservation
- Water Study
- Mammals Study
- Reptiles and Amphibians
- Insect Study
Pricing: $7.00 per scout/adult/sibling over 2 years of age. ($90 minimum to make a reservation)
One scout leader admitted free with program
* Note: $90.00 non-refundable deposit is required within 30 days of making your reservation. If this deposit is not received, we reserve the right to cancel your program.
Planning your trip:
To make a reservation, call the Environmental Education Coordinator at (770) 306-0914, Monday through Friday between 9:00am - 3:00pm for assistance.
Have the following information available...
- Preferred program date and 2 alternate dates
- Approximate number of scouts & adults
- Your preferred program topic(s)
Cochran Mill Nature Center
6300 Cochran Mill Road Palmetto, GA 30268
Phone: (770)306-0914 Fax (770) 306-8463